Tuesday, January 18, 2011

VIRUS?

I received two e-mails at work from my home e-mail account this morning that I DID NOT SEND, and the e-mail had copies to various e-mail addresses from my computer, a couple of them were bloggers who had sent me e-mails.

I also have an e-mail from rveducation101 . com requiring confirmation of my subscription, and also has an opt-out link.  Also one from meetup.com and craigslist.  Something is going on, but I don't know what.  I NEVER click on links from e-mails, but go directly to the website myself by entering their website address.

I am assuming I have a virus that tried to attack my laptop at home.  I don't know where it came from - possibly a computer of a friend or blogger that is infected with a virus.  I have NORTON running on my laptop and I've just run a scan, and it shows that my laptop has no viruses.  It is active and functional and set to scan on a regular basis. 

If you get an e-mail from me:

Barbara De****   sm9****@aol.com

please do not open it or click on the link. Or anyone else.  If you get an e-mail with a link, key in their website address yourself to get to their site - do not follow their link.

I know this has happened before to others who have blogs, I've seen the postings back and forth, but have not been involved before. 

I'm not sure what to do at this point, except to warn you all.  I have e-mailed our IT person here at work to see if he has any ideas, and he e-mailed back that he will check my laptop.  Luckily I brought it to work today, so maybe he will able to check it today.

If I have any information wrong, or if  you have any suggestions, please comment - I'll add your comment to this post. 

I'm sorry if this affects you in any way.  Please be careful, I'll let you know what happens and what I can find out.

3 comments:

  1. The only comment I have is that I run a full system scan with Norton every week. It says they run one every Wednesday, but it is not a full system. I don't claim to know that much about computers, but I do try to keep mine cleaned out, cookies, history, you know, and it seems to work for me. Good luck, and I hope you are wrong and don't have a virus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A virus is a possibility, of course, but it could also be some form of trojan, malware or other nasty bug.

    Hopefully, your IT guy will get to the bottom of this and get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It happened to me too. I just changed my email password, and it stopped. I hope this helps,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!