Saturday, May 6, 2017

Catching up... Sedona - 2. JAVALINAS!

My FIRST Javalina sighting!

Diana and I were out sightseeing one morning and she wanted to drive down Schnebly Road a bit.  We went to the end of the road where it's blocked, there's a trail head there, I think.  Anyway, we turned around and were headed back to town, when we were suddenly confronted with a JAVALINA CROSSING!  She stopped the car, and the people coming the other way stopped, too.  We both scrambled for our cameras!  I missed the herd, but got a few good pictures.

The herd (yes, a bunch of javalinas is called a herd) walked up the hill on our left and through the bushes and crossed the street a few at a time, walking across the road in front of us. 

Finally the one below came out of the brush by itself, limping a little, and walked slowly across the street, into the ditch, and up the hill on our right, following the rest of the herd.  What a kick!  I've wondered when I'd finally see some javalinas, and now I have.  Cute little critters!






And away they went.  I can't believe how excited I get about this stuff, BUT I DO!  I love these photos!  LOL

Some facts from ARIZONA-SONORA DESERT MUSEUM website:

"Javelina (Tayassu tajacu) also known as collared peccary, are medium-sized animals that look similar to a wild boar. They have mainly short coarse salt and pepper colored hair, short legs, and a pig-like nose. The hair around the neck/shoulder area is lighter in color giving it the look of a collar. Javelina have long, sharp canine teeth which protrude from the jaws about an inch."

From me and Katie, have a great day, everyone!  😎❤😎

7 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. We have yet to see one. Saw Coati but no javelina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing to see glad that you managed to get a few pics, They could be dangerous when Karie is outside though. WE saw a herd last year when we were in Congress with the Bayfield bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! We've only seen them a couple times but I got really excited, too. Doesn't take much these days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have several different herds that pass by here. There were about ten the other night - all ages - even a tee-tiny one! So cute!!!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen them a couple times. Once while hiking the Arizona Trail and once I almost ran into one on my motorcycle at Roosevelt Lake. What I find amazing is that they eat prickly pear cactus! How do they do that without getting stuck?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!