Saturday, May 6, 2017

Catching up... Sedona - 2. JAVALINAS!

My FIRST Javalina sighting!

Diana and I were out sightseeing one morning and she wanted to drive down Schnebly Road a bit.  We went to the end of the road where it's blocked, there's a trail head there, I think.  Anyway, we turned around and were headed back to town, when we were suddenly confronted with a JAVALINA CROSSING!  She stopped the car, and the people coming the other way stopped, too.  We both scrambled for our cameras!  I missed the herd, but got a few good pictures.

The herd (yes, a bunch of javalinas is called a herd) walked up the hill on our left and through the bushes and crossed the street a few at a time, walking across the road in front of us. 

Finally the one below came out of the brush by itself, limping a little, and walked slowly across the street, into the ditch, and up the hill on our right, following the rest of the herd.  What a kick!  I've wondered when I'd finally see some javalinas, and now I have.  Cute little critters!






And away they went.  I can't believe how excited I get about this stuff, BUT I DO!  I love these photos!  LOL

Some facts from ARIZONA-SONORA DESERT MUSEUM website:

"Javelina (Tayassu tajacu) also known as collared peccary, are medium-sized animals that look similar to a wild boar. They have mainly short coarse salt and pepper colored hair, short legs, and a pig-like nose. The hair around the neck/shoulder area is lighter in color giving it the look of a collar. Javelina have long, sharp canine teeth which protrude from the jaws about an inch."

From me and Katie, have a great day, everyone!  😎❤😎

7 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. We have yet to see one. Saw Coati but no javelina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing to see glad that you managed to get a few pics, They could be dangerous when Karie is outside though. WE saw a herd last year when we were in Congress with the Bayfield bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! We've only seen them a couple times but I got really excited, too. Doesn't take much these days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have several different herds that pass by here. There were about ten the other night - all ages - even a tee-tiny one! So cute!!!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen them a couple times. Once while hiking the Arizona Trail and once I almost ran into one on my motorcycle at Roosevelt Lake. What I find amazing is that they eat prickly pear cactus! How do they do that without getting stuck?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seen them too, but would love to again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!