Thursday, August 26, 2010

Road trip - RV window shopping tomorrow!


I keep changing my mind about what I want inside my future RV.  I don’t think I want carpet on the floors – I’d rather have a smooth floor that I can put rugs on if I need them. 
            
I love the rear kitchens, and at first I thought the bed-over-cab only layout was great and of course it would reduce the overall length of the rig. Those RVs are so cute and compact, with good kitchen counter space. I like this one with the rear door - I can see myself cooking with the door open and a nice breeze coming through. 
A dealer told me they don’t make that floor plan anymore, although they were very popular.  He said something about that configuration changing when slides came out and everyone wanted slides.  I don’t know why that would make a difference, but the kitchens seem to be in the middle now in most of the newer models. This photo, though, is a rear kitchen with a couch slider. So...
I don’t know about the bathroom.  I don’t have a sense of where I want it, or if I want it split or a full bath.  I would love to have a little bathtub in the shower area.  This is a small tub and it might work, and use less water than a larger one. Just the right size for bathing a grandchild after a day at the beach. Actually, I might have to lose ten pounds.  I'd have to see it in person, but on second thought I'm not sure I'd fit in it.  
Lately I’ve been thinking that with a few extra feet in the length, I could have an actual bedroom area, and then I could use the sleeping area above the cab to store boxes or plastic storage containers for hobby stuff, and generally for extra storage. 
I love my current bedspread and shams, a quilted cotton black and white toile pattern that took months to find, and I plan to use them in my RV.   I wouldn’t even mind the bed being RIGHT NEXT TO the kitchen, without a wall separating them, because I love looking at my bed all made up.  Maybe I wouldn’t mind it being so visible from the living area.  I don’t know.  Not sure about the sleeping situation yet.  At first I didn't like this layout - with the bed virtually in the kitchen.  But done well, it might look really nice.
It’s hard when I’m mostly looking at photos of on-line sales.  I do live near a CampingWorld, but most of their RVs are trailers or new rigs, and they won’t work for me.  It’s been a while since I’ve checked there, maybe I’ll drive over this weekend and see what they have.  And check out some other dealers in San Diego County.
This blog post took forever to finish.  I kept switching to RV websites to check for photos to see again what I’m writing about, and kept getting sidetracked.  I did see two rigs that I immediately started figuring out if I could afford them now.  Dangerous – but I think I will check some dealers tomorrow anyway.
KATIE…, ROAD TRIP TOMORROW!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for becoming a follower on my 2 blogs! That led me to yours and I'll follow you now.

    Loved your post on RV selections. Seems that no matter how large or small they all involve some type of compromise. I'm sure in time you'll find the one that is just right for you. A small tub/shower combo would be good for giving the pup a bath.

    Have fun on your search for the perfect RV for you and your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things to keep in mind: You have to add the cost of the Sales Tax to the price and if you finance, your interest can be deducted as a second home.

    Have fun looking. Wish we were that far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Standard Deduction in 2014 for Single 65+ was $7,750. You would need a lot of other itemized deductions plus the second home interest to exceed that in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Here is something to think about. The photo with the bed in the corner behind the sink, take your bed and shove it in a corner then try to make it from that one corner for a couple of weeks. Bet you change your mind after wrestling sheets off and on your bed. I also couldn't get the bed to look crisp and neat. Judy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!