Thursday, February 12, 2015

Review of the STONE WAVE Microwave Cooker

I read about this item in Karen's post on RVing: The USA is our BIG Backyard.  It was for sale on a TV infomercial for $19.99 plus $8 shipping, but at the Dollar Tree, they are $1 each.   You can read Karen's review on her blog, and see what she cooked for their first meal with the Stone Wave Microwave Cooker.

So when Kim left for Joshua Tree, she said she'd stop at the Dollar Tree in Blythe and see if they had them, and would pick one up for me.  Kim drove into our camping area last Wednesday morning, and she got me one!

It's a great deal at one dollar, and even comes with a little cookbook.  I tried it out that night, first baking the onion, then following that up with their suggestion of using some of that onion to make French Onion Soup

Stone Wave Microwave Cooker and little recipe book
This is the front of the box.
Onion in broth after being cooked - I started to break it apart and removed it from the crock.
Just a little broth left.
I put the onion on a plate on my cutting board and sliced it into small pieces.
I followed the recipe for French Onion Soup - added more broth and onion pieces.
Sprinkled grated Parmesan Cheese on top.
Next put some salad croutons on top.
Laid cheese on top - I had Monterey Jack so that's what I used.
Heated in the microwave with the top on per the instructions.
Done!  Super hot!
First bite with some broth, croutons, unions and cheese,  YUM!

I think this French Onion Soup was about as good as any I've had.  One thing I did, though, that probably added a bit more flavor, was this:  I had a roasted chicken that I bought at Smart & Final - it was plump and juicy and there were juices on the bottom of the container.  I put those in the crock for the initial baking of the onion, and that's what was left in that "little broth left" photo.  Then I added beef broth that I bought when I continued on to make the soup.  I think the roasted chicken juices probably made it more tasty, but instead I could have sprinkled a little bit of spice here and there and probably had the same result. 

From me and Katie, have a great Thursday, everybody!  :)

11 comments:

  1. Hummm, looks very interesting. Will be looking for a Dollar Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have utensils that give serving size portions. Makes cooking for one so much easier. Then begs the question, where to store all the gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the only "As Sold on TV" gadget we have bought that actually works. We use it almost every day to make poached eggs. You have to watch it close to get the time right. I have also made the onion soup and it was really good. I'll have to check the dollar tree to see if they have any here for $1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love French onion soup. Wonder if there's a Dollar Tree in Yuma? That's also where I can still find the fifty dog pick-up bags for a buck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my that looks good! Who knew what a delicious dish was cooking just up the road from me! ;-) I am going to look for one of those. What a bargain at only a dollar! Looks like it would be good for other soups as well... Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mine and bought a second one when I found them at Walgreen's for $5. You sure did get a deal at Dollar Tree. I have cooked lots of the recipes in the book and everyone came out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review. I will be looking for one at the local dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a great kitchen aide that appears to work real well, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks really good. Well except for the cheese for me. Great buy for a buck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nummy. Sounds like you're doing all kinds of experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had one of those and it does work. Not sure what happened to it though... My new MW gadget is MicroHearth coockware. Who knew you could actually burn toast in a microwave? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!