Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hair Hat, and Starting the year off sick. :(

WELCOME to our new followers, LilNomad and Richard.  I don't see any info on either of you, but if you have blogs, I'd like to check them out, let me know.   Thank you for following along with me and Katie on our adventures.  I'm expecting 2012 to be a wonderful year for us, and I'm glad you'll both be along for the ride!  Welcome aboard!

Not a great photo, I took a million shots, but this is the best of the hair hat.  This is with the grey hair.   (I don't know how people take those great pictures of themselves, extending their arm and snapping the pic. It sure doesn't work for me!)

 Hair Hat - it works best on me if I brush all my hair out of the way.

I took the hair out (it's attached with Velcro) one day and wore just the visor, which I really liked.

New Years Eve was a quiet evening, spent around the fire with the Dingbats.  We have a few new people who have arrived - the more the merrier!  One of the women organized a little gathering and some people brought wine, champagne and nibbles for everyone.  I'm not much of a wine drinker, and champagne is too dry for me, so I brought along my Irish Coffee in my traveling mug.  It was perfect for drinking around the fire.

We had clear skies, with the moon making it's way across the sky as we sat outside.  Katie and I were in bed early, but I read one of my library books until after midnight, so we heard the noise at midnight, and were awake for the beginning of the new year.

I like the sound of 2012.  Do you say 20-12, or 2000- 12?  I keep saying 2000-12, but I'm hearing it pronounced in the media as 20-12, and I like that.

On January 1st, the Dingbats gathered around an afternoon fire and shared BBQ hot dogs, potato salad, beans, etc.  It was a beautiful day, and the food was delicious!

On Tuesday morning I woke up early with bad stomach pains that lasted all day (and I felt like I had also come down with the virus going around). I was worried about the pain, and finally I checked on-line for  appendicitis symptoms.  It was kind of a toss up - I had the symptoms, but they could have meant other things, too.  I decided to adopt a wait and see attitude.  Most people that listed their comments on the MD.com site waited at least two days to head off to the doctor.

I was awake most of the night, not in great pain, but not completely comfortable, and finally dropped off to sleep.  Katie and I woke up at 11:00 this morning, and although the stomach pains have decreased, they are still there, maybe 30 percent of the pain the day before.

 Same site, but I moved the rocks way out - now it's quite a large area.
Turns out, we are REQUIRED to have AT LEAST 15 feet between rigs, 
and you can pretty much mark off what you want to be your campsite.

Finally in the late afternoon today I went over to talk to Hazel, who is a retired nurse, to check my symptoms with her knowledge.  I also wanted her to know that if I took off in the middle of the night, or sometime tomorrow, I was heading to Kaiser in San Diego, and I wanted her to know I'd try to be back for the Big Tent show.  If the pain is worse, I'm not going to be walking around the campground saying goodbye!!

I did nothing today but sleep and lay on the couch reading.  The funny thing is, I don't seem to have the virus - I guess it was just allergies after all, because it's not bad at all today.

I'm pretty confident I'll feel better tomorrow.  Hazel gave me some Pepto Bismo, and I just started taking it.  Cross your fingers for me.

David, one of my followers, and whose blog I follow, was going to stop by for meet on his way through Quartzsite to Mexico, but unfortunately I had to cancel.  I was more worried about giving him the virus, but as it turns out we were probably okay there, but my stomach pains would have made for an uncomfortable visit.  Sorry, Dave, we'll meet again down the road.  

Our moon rising late this afternoon:

A little earlier these machines flew overhead - it's so fun watching them power themselves across the sky. 

 Close-up of one of the flyers. 

Santa Claus is here - I guess he doesn't go directly to the North Pole after Christmas.  But, heck, he needs some R&R after all that hard work, and the long flight, right?  I'll post photos of him and his rig next time.

From Me and Katie, have a great Tuesday evening, everyone!  :)


  1. I remember Reading a post from Al Bossence of Bayfield Bunch http://thebayfieldbunch.com/
    Somebody Flying one of those things but after landing it the wind came up and tried adjusting the build of the machine and the Pilot.

    It's about time.


  2. I hope you get to feeling okay real quick. Good thing to let someone know you weren't feeling well. My DH had one of those paraplanes when we lived in Wichita Falls Tx. He bought it, watched a video on how to fly it and then took off in our back yard--we had 5 acres. He had a great time with it. Sometimes I would be coming home from work and see traffic pulled over on the side of the road and look up to see him flying. The parachutes are really beautiful.


  3. Barbara I hope you get to feeling better soon. If not by tomorrow you should really get checked out. I have seen someone with pain like that before. And my grandson had his appendix taken out Saturday.
    Take care.

  4. Ah so now I know what the hair hat looks like - cute! Sorry that you weren't feeling well. I hope you continue to feel better each day!

  5. hope you are feeling better soon!..and Happy New Year if we haven't wished you that yet!!!

  6. Barbara - be sure to let us know if we can do anything for you. And I sure hope you're feeling much better tomorrow.

  7. Glad you're feeling better. Sounds like something you ate or drank didn't agree with you.

  8. I hope you get to feeling better. Remember we're just down the road if we can help.

    I like your hat!!

  9. If you are still feeling the discomfort, you should get it checked out for sure. I had appendicitis in Sept '10 - went from Sunday night to Wed. morning thinking I had a stomach bug. Wasn't in a lot of pain, it felt more like gas or cramping to me. Finally went to the drs. Wed morning after I passed out, and my appendix had already ruptured by that point. I was in emergency surgery 2 hours later. Not a fun month and a half. I have actually looked back occasionally at my blog entries for that time, and the posts I made when I thought I just had a bug, and it's scary to think how close I came to not being here today.

  10. My pain wasn't bad....then after awhile it got better. Then I started feeling goofy.

    2 hours later emergency surgery. One month in the hospital semi comatose the first week with Sepsis following a ruptured Appy.

    Call and talk with a ER nurse, urgent care nurse !

    My Dr. told me she did not think I would make it.

    A nurse here, Andrea

  11. be careful with the pain level especially if it doesn't seem like a virus...don't take the chance hon..glad to hear you felt a bit better..good move to tell someone there that your not feeling well....hope to see a blog today saying your all better...if not please get checked out..not worth the risk...

  12. You gotta get out of that busy place and find some germ free areas in the desert! LOL!

    I am camping about 60 miles west of Quartzsite. I found a spot to pull off i95 and drove about 1/2 mile from the road.

    It is so peacful and quiet here! I could waffle between a solitary place like this and a crazy busy place like HI JOLLY in Quartzsite. Although, I think I prefer the peace and quiet of my own corner of the desert. There's no viruses or germs to catch from others out here!

    Enjoy and hope you feel better.

  13. I had a ruptured appendix too - don't wait!

  14. What brand is the hat and where did you buy it?


Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!