Thursday, January 10, 2013

Happy New Year from San Diego!

It seems I'm staying much longer in San Diego than originally planned.  I  was going to be here from Christmas Eve until New Year's Eve, but we're still hanging around.  Not a lot to blog about and I've been very lazy, but I've kept up with all your posts each day so I haven't missed a thing. I've enjoyed spending time with my family and having the grandkids on overnights in The Palms.  I've taken a bit of a break from posting and carrying my camera everywhere, and have enjoyed my mini-vacation here in San Diego.

We parked across the street from my son's new house for a week so that we could visit when all the family was there and still sleep in the motorhome and have the grand kiddles over for the night.  We then moved The Palms to his old house, which is empty right now, waiting for escrow to close and the new buyers to move in.   So now we have a gorgeous yard with lawn, palm trees, flowers, etc. right out our windows, a car to use and stores nearby.  And electric hookups, too.  That's what I call comfort!

What a great campsite - Tom and Trish's old house

I've had a few overnights with my grandchildren, even the 3-year old for the first time, who was quite talkative during the night.  I finally had to tell him to go to sleep, and he did.  I was afraid he'd be scared without his mom and dad, but he did fine with me and Katie and Gavin, his 8 year old brother.

Big brother Gavin and sleeping Graydin watching movies at Grammy's

I've gotten a lot of things done while we've been here.  Today I met my son for lunch at his office, and got to visit with the women I worked with for three years while I was there.  It was really nice to see them, and also to meet Tom's new personal assistant. 

Sunday he and Trish are taking me out for breakfast for my birthday.  The plan is to head back to Hot Springs LTVA early next week, hopefully after the winds and cold weather are gone.

In the middle of their move to the new house, Tom and Trish had Tom's dad visit the week before I arrived, then while I was there my daughter and her family arrived, as well as Trish's friend's dog, Lola who they took care of for a week.  Lola is a very large dog with a great personality. She was so easy to get along with, except for Katie, who wanted nothing to do with her and let her know it anytime she got close.  Poor thing.

Tom and Trish have a lot of patience - can you imagine moving into a new house during Christmas AND having family and an extra dog or two?  While you both work???  Somehow it all went like clockwork and everyone had a great time and some great meals. :)

Lola and Trish on Christmas morning.

I've taken some photos during the past couple of weeks, here are a few of them.


Graydin, Drew, Gavin, Kennedy, Lauren at The Palms for a movie. Those are their popcorn bowls on their heads. :)
   


Drew and Lauren having popcorn at Grammy's.       

Drew and Lauren over-nighting at Grammy's

Gavin and Drew loved their new books. They are both great readers.

Cousins just hanging out.

Kristy, Lauren, Gavin, Drew, Graydin, Kennedy, Tom at lunch with Grammy

Son-in-law Matt with Katie

Katie's new Squeaky Duck toy

As I was leaving Tom's house one day, we saw this beautiful bird on his lawn - we watched it for a while and Tom got his camera out of the car.  These are two of the photos he e-mailed me. I'd never seen a bird that looked like this.  We called him the Bandit Bird:

Common Yellowthroat

Common Yellowthroat

WELCOME to our two newest Followers:

Encourage One Another, who has a non-RVing blog, but the posts are interesting - check it out.  He/She has over 5,000 Followers - WOW!  Thanks for following along with me and Katie, I appreciate it!

JoanneG, who says in her profile info, "Looking forward to half-timing in our Roadtrek! Still working full time but getting out to the wilds as often as possible!"  Sounds like you have a good plan, there, Joanne.  Do you have a blog?  If so, let me know so I can check it out.

From Me and My Dog, have a great Thursday, everyone!  :)

23 comments:

  1. The Yellowthroat is one of my favorite birds... lucky you! I love the pics of your grandkids. How nice you could spend the holidays with family. Know you are enjoying this to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you for not wanting to head out. It's cold in AZ. Love the pictures of the grands. I think they had a wonderful time in the Palms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see little ones reading. More and more technology is pushing out the books. What fun you've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been missed. Glad to know you are well and been enjoying life. sounds like Katie suffers from little dog syndrome. She makes me laugh the little toughie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a lovely family. Your grandchildren will remember "camping" out with you I'm sure as one of their favorite things they did at Christmas.
    Not everyone has a Grammy that has her home on wheels :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely family. Your grandchildren will remember "camping" out with you I'm sure as one of their favorite things they did at Christmas.
    Not everyone has a Grammy that has her home on wheels :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun time with family! You are having a great Holiday Season, so happy to see that, Barbara. Tell your son that his old house could become a primo destination for RV's so he really should hang on to it. Certainly working out well for you and Katie. So glad you are there near your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good time, can tell from the pics that everyone having a good time.. looks like a great 'old' house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you're busy making a lot of really good memories. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a great Christmas creating lots of memories for all. Love the pix of your "grands" with the bowls on their heads, sure made me laugh. Safe travels back to the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just joined your blog....two reasons : 1. I love pups and think it's totally awesome what you and your pup are doing. We travel with 4 rescue pups in a 2008 Itasca Motorhome. We have called it home for 16 months now and are loving it! 2. We are heading to San Diego next week for a month or more ( we are in Tucson now). I know you and all the grankids have made lots of memories the past few weeks and enjoyed time together. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy you're able to decompress, relax (?), and enjoy the grandkids and San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May as well take advantage of all the extra time with the kids and at your own private campground, too. Great pictures of the grandkids - they sure are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great spot you have there for The Palms! Nothing like having some quality grandkid time. Loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you are having a great time and the grand kids are precious. Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Barbara, Sure missed your posts but can certainly understand the need to get away from Blogging for awhile. As you know, I've done it myself several times.


    Hope we see each other again before the Winter season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful break from boondocking in the desert! Glad to see you are enjoying family right now, and you may just cherish the solitude when you get back to regular RV life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear from you. Sounds like you're having a great vacation with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year! Thanks for the welcome. No blog...at least not yet!
    JoanneG

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pictures and captions! I am so glad that you had a great visit.

    Happy Birthday to you Barbara!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!