Sunday, September 28, 2014

More cool bird photos

Isn't he beautiful?

I just happened to look out my window and saw this Turkey Buzzard sitting atop a light pole with his wings spread - you might remember that I love these guys.  So beautiful, except their really ugly heads - well none of us is perfect, right?  He sat there for a while, looking back and forth:



He turned a little and brought in his wings:


Then opened his wings again, even wider.  He must have been cooling off with the nice breezes:


This pose is not his most beautiful, but it's how I usually see Turkey Buzzards perched:


Then a little bird landed on the wire behind him.  He sat there looking at the bird until it flew away.  Probably a good move, little bird, but I don't think he was in any danger.  Buzzards don't eat live animals, do they?


And here he is, soaring away overhead:


Here's another big guy - a Chihuahuan Raven sitting on top of a pole.  These large birds seem to like perching up high and watching what's going on - looking for dinner, maybe.  The Raven and Buzzard are such powerful looking birds.


And here's our current campsite - it's not really a site, just a flat area over the lake.  We have good views, nice breezes, a dumpster close by, and a short walk to the showers. It's my "go-to" spot when the few dry camping sites are all occupied.


I've set up a little fenced area for Katie where she can watch all the little lizards running in the bushes.  She's really in her element here - lots of the little critters:



Not a lot going on - and that makes me very happy right now.  Katie and I are just enjoying our stay here.  The weather has been good and we're in a pretty quiet spot.  I'm starting to take my camera everywhere again.  For a while I stopped taking it on walks because there just wasn't much to snap, but I'm enjoying all the birds here.

WELCOME to our newest Follower, Connie!  Hi, Connie - Katie and I are happy to have you following along with us.  I don't see any information about you or a blog, please let me know if you have one so I can pass along the link.  :)

Also, I just noticed that I missed one of our new Followers - Cheeseheads4theRoad.  They have been married for 43 years and have a beautiful family of  kids, grand kids, and two dogs.  They also have two motor homes - a 35-foot Class A and they just bought a 22-foot Winnebago Class C, which she calls the Granny Mobile.  I like it!  She says, "I love to travel and see new places. My husband just goes along with my dreams because he likes to see me happy (I think)."  They have a Blogger profile, but there isn't a blog listed, so let me know if you do have one and I'll post the link.  Welcome aboard!

From me and Katie, have a great Sunday, everyone!  :)

8 comments:

  1. The detail of the feathers in your photos is great. Birds are nice to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great pictures!! And yes, buzzards have been known to eat live things. Be careful with Katy when they are around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to go back and make sure you were still among the living. I'm so far behind on blogs. I love to watch the buzzards soaring over head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a pretty area to set up camp. Nice shots of the turkey buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our vet used to day that the turkey buzzard should be the US national bird... they do more to clean up the highways and recycle matter than we humans do! Love your photos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie looks so happy watching life through the fence! Really good bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Barbara for the warm welcome. I have gone back to the beginning of your blog and it has taken me awhile to get caught up. We are currently traveling in our little Winnie to see the fall colors in northern Wisconsin. Sometimes we forget to visit our own backyards. I want to get up to the Apostle Islands and then loop back down to Green Bay. The colors up here are amazing and the weather has been warm and sunny. I don't currently have a blog, but maybe someday in the future.
    Donna (1 of the cheese heads) Go Pack

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buzzards and Ravens are both sacred birds among the native Americans you were blessed with seeing them both that day. Katie looks so content. Is she feeling better? So nice to be parked by the water. So glad you are carrying your camera again. I started my blog after I returned from Minnesota with my new to me motorhome so take a peek if you want to. http://motorhomesnmuttskeys.blogspot.com/ I think I'm off to a good start if I do say so myself. lol... I sure enjoy your blog. P-nut says hi to Katie there are a couple of pictures of him on the blog... Katie can see how handsome he is ; ) Blessings to you and Katie...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!