Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's a snake!

Today is pretty warm, and Katie and I were sitting outside this morning.  I was reading my Kindle, minding my own business, when Katie started getting agitated.  I thought the cat across the street was roaming around, but Katie usually doesn't mind the cat being nearby.  I looked across the street, looked around, didn't see anything, and kept reading.  Katie started growling and backing up, and I looked again, and here's what I saw heading toward Katie:

 Our morning visitor.

Going under The Palms
I stood up to get out of his way, and he started going under The Palms - I Don't Think So!  I could just imagine him coming up inside - I don't know if that 's possible, but I wasnt' taking any chances. I grabbed one of my Wal-Mart solar lights, and flipped him away, then flipped him again down the hill onto the path below us.  Whew!  That was a little excitement!  He didn't look like a poisonous snake, but I didn't want him around, especially under The Palms.

When  Katie and I took our morning walk (we both slept in until 10:30! - I think Katie is taking this retirement thing seriously!), we saw the dog in the window crate for the first time:
Darling little pup in her lofty crate

Isn't that the cutest thing?  They have two small dogs and two crates, one on each side of their very large, very nice rig which is black and red. 

I don't think I showed you my newest container - it's a little suitcase, with a handle and clasp. Its the perfect size for my spices and little packets of things, like dried gravy mix, soup mix, etc.  Isn't it cute?  I think that's it for the containers from Michael's. 
Spice storage
The handle and clasp are on the top, and you can stand it up or lay it down.  I love little shops, and now I have one!  : )

And...  here are a few bird photos I took this week:
 When it's warm, the ducks all gather in the shade.

 Looks a little like a dove, but they look different when they fly - they are usually flying in pairs.

This little guy was finding some delicious morsels in these reeds.
 
Just over 90 degrees this afternoon in The Palms.

Between the cross breeze from the large windows over the couch and dinette, and the Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze fan, it doesn't feel hot in The Palms.  I'm also under a tree, which gives us shade, too.  Even so, at 90+ degrees, I'm lucky for all the breezes we're getting.

That's it for now - from Me and My Dog, have a nice Tuesday,  everyone!  : )

12 comments:

  1. Oh boy, snakes aren't my thing either. Good thing you were able to 'toss' him out of the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what beautiful photos,, what kind of snake I wonder, yikes,, that is such a cute container,, I like that,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well aren't you and Katie the brave ones! I think I would have grabbed the dog and ran off yelling help! Can't imagine being able to toss the snake away. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That took guts to approach that snake not knowing if it would strike or not. I can't tell you how many times I've seen photos of snakes on the blogs of bloggers. Makes me have to stop and wonder about camping out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I don't like snakes! I'm glad Katie was on guard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys would love my husky/chow, Blue. He likes to find 'em and kill 'em. The first time I saw him do it, the snake was clamped by his head, in Blue's mouth, and wiggling all around. I didn't really know what to do, so I just told him "Good boy." I have seen him even go in the water and catch them. He always kills them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snakes definitely are not something I want to have anything to do with. So, no matter where we are, I am always on the look out for them so I can scream and grab the girls and run.

    That suitcase shop is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how much is the doggie in the window??..I would have screamed like a girl with a snake that close!!???

    ReplyDelete
  9. good for you for thinking on your feet and getting that snake away!! smart move, i definitely wouldn't want to come across one of those inside the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know that I am late, catching up like I am but you have to be careful around snakes if you do not know if they are pit vipers. This shows you what I mean: http://www.rattlesnakes.com/info/strike.html

    If you need to move a snake, it's best to have a broom and stay as far from it as possible.

    I have had to get rid of a pit viper (in Yuma, AZ) that my dogs were taking turns lunging at, while it was striking at them. Your heart just stops. I have a GREAT respect for pit vipers and do my best to stay out of their way!

    FYI: Never touch a dead pit viper as the venom is still good and the muscle memory can react with the head latching on, for up to an hour- after death.

    The desert southwest has Sidewinders. They mate in April/May. Watch out for them as they have a nasty disposition- during this time- and it feels like they go out of their way to 'pick a fight', so to speak. I lived in Yuma for eight years and you learn more than you want to about the desert creatures.

    Oh, watch out for scorpions. The smaller, the more dangerous. They are born with all the venom that they will have for their whole lives. So babies are deadly.

    Sheila :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Show some common sense and a little respect and your chances of dieing from a scorpion sting are rather low. Last reported death in Arizona,where scorpions are common,was in 1948.The most dangerous scorpion in Arizona is the bark scorpion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!