Wednesday, April 10, 2013

More Pancho Villa photos

I think Katie and I might leave Pancho Villa State Park today and move on to Rockhound State Park.  The HIGH winds - WOW - are finally over.  Two nights ago I went to bed at 10:00 and was buffeted so much I finally got up at 2:00 am and turned on the computer and read blogs for a while until I was really tired and thought I could sleep.  Last night I went to bed really late so I could fall asleep easier.  We've been waking up at 10:00 am lately. It's still a little breezier than I'd like, but no high winds today.

I want to drive into town to do laundry, get propane and access the free wi-fi at the library, and I'm not sure if we'll drive on or come back. 

I have photos of birds and their nests and also some campground photos, so I want to do two posts in one today.  So - following are the photos I wanted to post that are representative of this park.

The electric/water sites are very nice, pretty well spaced, and have  covered tables, bar-b-ques and most are drive through sites.  They will accommodate any size rig.




There is a hill in the park with paths leading around it in the cactus gardens and up to the top, where there is a flag pole and three benches facing in different directions to rest and oversee the whole area, all the way down to Mexico on one side.


Cootes Hill - the large water tower is outside the park, across the street.

Visitor's Center

There are a lot of signs explaining the old buildings (or parts of buildings, etc.) and history  throughout the park.  Here are a few:


The first Grease Rack - see sign above. (My site was at the end of this grease rack.)



And finally, some bird and nest photos to finish up Pancho Villa State Park.  I hope the nests are all still there after the high winds the other night.  It was too windy to walk over and check them or the owls.

Pyrrhuloxia - male
Pyrrhuloxia - male

Eurasian Collared Dove

White-Winged Dove
 
Female House Finch

White-Crowned Sparrow

I never did see a Roadrunner. :(

And here are some cool nests, they were high up on the branches.  Between me and Bea e-mailing back and forth, it was determined they are Bullock's Oriole nests.  I didn't see any Bullock's Orioles in the park, but I sure saw a bunch of their nests.  Here are a few:  




And this nest - obviously constructed by a different type bird.


LATER:  That's about it for Pancho Villa State Park.  After doing my chores in town, I continued on to Rockhound State Park and was lucky to get the last non-electric site - there are only six without hook-ups.  I thought I'd better finish this post -- the next one will be from Rockhound.

From Me and Katie, have a great Wednesday, everyone!  :)

9 comments:

  1. Those bird nests are so neat.

    The history is also interesting...there is so much to learn about our country.

    Can't wait to see what Rockhound State Park looks like. Enjoy!

    Hugs to Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bird pictures.. you are really close to the border!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really getting good with your bird id's. Love those beautiful nests. Hopefully the weather is much calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wind seems to be everywhere. Hope it is calmer for you at your new location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bird photos and those nests are so interesting. Is it always windy there or is it just the season?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the wind stays down for you. It can sure mess us your plans. It's been windy here in the Keys too, but at least it's not rocking the rig.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure wish the wind would blow away! The bird photos are great. I took one yesterday, but have yet to identify. Are you a rockhound?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a Pyrrhuloxia in Benson AZ while staying at the Red Barn Campground. Pretty special song they have. I tried to take a photo, but it was too far away, as always.

    Just wait - you will get your chance to see a road runner.
    I'm pretty sure about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the Pyrrhuloxia a type of parrot? At first, I thought it was a female cardinal till the 2nd pic. Thanks for the pics & history.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - we LOVE them!